News

 

Calendar

 

Minutes and Agendas

 

FAQs

 

Links

Contacts

 

Parish Clerk

Nicola Attwood
15 Orbit Close
Walderslade Woods
Chatham
ME5 9NF

Tel: 07530027988

 

Chairman

Fay Gooch

Welcome to Barming Parish Council

A little history:

Barming is a civil parish in the Maidstone Borough of Kent, England. It lies to the west of Maidstone, the county town, and had a population of 2233 persons (2001 census). The eastern end of the parish is part of the built-up area of Maidstone, although the remainder is much more rural. The River Medway is the southern boundary of the parish.

Barming is mentioned in the Domesday Book, and was then described as being divided into East and West; the latter being known as Little Barming, and having its own church until the 16th century, now known as Barn Jet.

Barming railway station, on the line through Maidstone to Ashford, was opened with the line on 1 June 1874. Interesting to note that the station lies outside the parish of Barming. The A26 road runs through the parish.

_________________________________________

Landmarks and Places of interest:

St Margaret’s Church, Church Lane: A Norman period church with the characteristic triangle of east windows with a tower added in the perpendicular style.

St Margarets Church

Among interesting items in the church and its grounds are three 14th century bench ends and a mounting block.

Read More>>

_________________________________________

Church Cross House, South Street: Built in 1876 by Thomas William Carr (Rector) to serve such purposes of religion and parochial usefulness as may deem fit.

_________________________________________

War Memorial, Tonbridge Road: Erected to commemorate the dead of the 1914-1918 war, the names of those who died in the 1939-45 war were added.

Barming war memorial

The memorial was erected on what remained of a small village green.

_________________________________________

Cuthberts Cottages (private), North Street: A medieval timber framed hall house, built as a farm house in the fourteenth century and extended at the back in early seventeenth century.

 

_________________________________________

The Redstart, North Street: Family public house.

See more>>

_________________________________________

The Bull Inn, Tonbridge Road: Family public house 

The Bull Inn

 

See more>>

 

_________________________________________

 

The Victory, Farleigh Bridge: Family public house

See more>>

_________________________________________

The Fountain Inn, Tonbridge Road: Built as a hostelry in 1837 serving farm workers and hop pickers. In 1890 horse traffic used it as a staging post and in 1904 a local terminus for trams.

_________________________________________

If you have any enquiries about Barming or Barming Parish Council, please contact Nicola Attwood, the Parish Clerk, via email